This week, I thought I’d hand over the mic to my husband, Steve. He’s a personal trainer. Me, I eat a lot of cupcakes and write about them. It’s a well-balanced marriage. Even though he’s passionate about good health and well-being, he’s still a super trooper on my quest to find the country’s best cupcake! Last weekend, we merrily hopped in the car for a quick trip to Suwanee, GA to check out Gimme Some Suga Bakery Bar. Turns out Roswell -> Suwanee does not equal quick trip, more like 40 minutes. Oh well, it was still cool to explore a new Georgia town and walk around Suwanee’s lively Town Center.
So, without further ado…heeeeeeeeeeere’s Steve! Take it away, Sugar Lips! (Just kidding, I don’t really call him that. But I should because it’d coordinate so well with the post’s title…and because he’s so sweet. Sorry! Steve’s rolling his eyes right now…as I’m afraid you are, too.)
Man, when they say, “Gimme Some Suga” they really mean it! The frosting on all of the cupcakes was super sweet. So sweet in fact that it almost overwhelmed any flavor from the cake. Luckily, I enjoy sweet foods and for the most part, enjoyed the cupcakes.
My favorite cupcake was easily the Pumpkin Spice. The cake was delicious and the frosting was super sweet, but also right for the flavoring of the cake. I feel like either the cupcakes need to be bigger or there needs to be less frosting. I like a good amount of frosting, but when it’s as sweet as the frosting here, it overwhelms the cake.
Overall, I think the store itself was okay. It had neat little decorations and the person who serviced us was very friendly. There was a birthday party going on when came in and it made the store very cramped, so we decided to eat our cupcakes outside.
I think the Pumpkin Spice deserves a spot on my personal Top 10. But to be honest, I have eaten so many cupcakes that I cannot remember them all.
~Banana Bread Cupcake
Bread did not have much banana flavor. Frosting was great – very chocolaty.
Delicious! I really enjoyed both the cake and frosting. The frosting was so sweet that it might have overwhelmed the cake some.
More sweet than tart or zingy. Plain vanilla cake with sweet lemon frosting on top. Not bad, but needs work to be more lemony.
~Chocolate Peanut Butter
Very sweet frosting – enjoyed it though!
Thanks, Steve, for your insightful analysis! My favorite was the Banana Bread Cupcake. I really love banana bread, period. Top it with chocolate frosting, even better. And this guy had the genuine dense banana bread experience, yum! I just wasn’t a fan of the dense frosting, it was almost like a piece of fudge (now, for some people, that may be right up your alley!) The thick sugary frosting on all four cupcakes was too much for my sweet tooth to handle. And I used to eat chocolate sprinkles by the spoonfuls, so I’ve always considered my sweet tooth to be big league. Not to toot my own horn or anything…
Let’s roll out the break down now!
Gimme Some Suga Bakery Bar / 320 Town Center Avenue Suwanee, GA / www.gimmesomesugabakerybar.com
1. Price: $2.75 each / $15 half dozen / $28 dozen
2. Room temperature: Yes, holla! (I’ve always wanted to say that! Did I spell it right?)
3. Size: Just a smidge smaller than standard
4. Cake to Frosting Ratio: Slightly skewed in the frosting’s favor, which given it’s density, wasn’t working for me this time around
5. Vegan or gluten-free options: Special order only
6. To-go packaging: Cardboard box with logo sticker on top, no dividers inside though. Whoa, we were walking around with unsupported cupcakes and I didn’t even know it. We were lucky no one was hurt! (by no one, I mean no cupcake)
7. Milk for sale?: I didn’t spot any milk, but they do have water, soda, Gatorade, Propel, Tazo teas, and coffee for sale.
8. Other treats for non-cupcake enthusiasts you may have in tow: Cheesecake! They’ve got 4″, 7″, and 9″ cheesecakes on their menu. Along with t-shirts ($12.99) and bath bombs ($10).
9. Ambiance: I really like the decor here ~ it was warm & inviting; hip and youthful; girly yet grounded (they had a tv tuned into the football game. Steve was pleased.) There were 3 indoor tables with groovy bar stools, fun artwork, nice music playing, and rad lighting. I was pleased.
10. Service: Excellent. Even though, as Steve mentioned, there was lots of commotion with a birthday party going on, the one person manning the counter that day still gave us her full and kind attention.
11. Three words to describe the Gimme Some Suga experience (according to Steve):
1) very 2) sweet 3) cupcakes
Although I’m not crowning a Top 10 this go around, the whole experience of Gimme Some Suga was worth the less than quick trip! If you head out that way, let me know what you think. Any other Suwanee must-see sights? On another note, are you a nickname/pet name user? Got any good ones?